Tomato Bisque Soup
Easy tomato soup, served with a side of grilled cheese sandwich to make it a perfect meal.
- 3 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- ½ white onion, very finely diced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour / plain flour / maida flour
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey or agave
- 1 teaspoon dry basil or 2 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 1 can tomato sauce (15-16 ounces)
- Equal amount of water as the tomato sauce
- ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- Black pepper, to taste
To make the soup:
Heat a saucepan on medium heat. Add the butter or olive oil. Add in the finely diced onion and salt and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and flour. Cook on low heat till the flour cooks out but not golden brown. Add in the turmeric, cumin, red chili powder and sauté for 30 seconds. Now add in the tomato sauce and water and stir well. Season with basil, sweetener and pepper, and mix well. Let the soup simmer for 10 minutes until it thickens in consistency. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Add in the heavy whipping cream just before serving. Garnish with fresh basil leaves (optional).
Other serving suggestions: Cheese quesadilla, side salad, garlic bread, or panini sandwich.