Steamed potato slices with peanut and herb filling.
- 4 Russet Potatoes peeled and cut in ¼ inch slices
- ½ cup finely ground raw peanuts
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup chana flour / gram flour
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup chopped cilantro / green dhana (tightly packed)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon green chilies, minced, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (optional)
Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in ¼ inch thick round slices and soak them in water. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix rest of the ingredients well to make a moist mixture. If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of water to bind everything. Set aside.
Get a steam pot, add some water. Heat the pan on medium high.
Take a steam basket and spray it with some oil and set aside. Pat the potato slices dry. Take one slice, put about 1 teaspoon of the nut mixture and cover with another slice of potato and press tight so the filling is evenly spread in the middle. Set the sandwich on the steam basket and continue the process with the rest of the mixture and potato slices.
Place the basket in the steamer and cover the lid. Steam for 20 minutes on medium high heat. Remove the cooked sandwiches and set on a serving platter.
Depending on the size of your steam basket, if all of the sandwiches did not fit in the basket, you can repeat the steaming process with the rest of the potato slices.
Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Variations: You can also use purple potatoes or purple yam (ratalu) instead of russet potatotes.