Low fat version of the popular poha (flaked rice) chevdo, packed with protein!
- 6 cups Thin Poha (Flaked Rice)
- 1/2 cup whole raw peanuts
- 1/2 cup split raw cashews
- 1/2 cup Daria (roasted gram/chana daal) (optional)
- 1/4 cup limdi/kadhi patta, microwave for 1-2 minutes until leaves are crispy but green
- 2 tablespoons raw fennel seeds (veriyari)
- 2 tablespoon Sasame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 teaspoon white chili powder or red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon herder/turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon hing/asafetida
- 1 teaspoon salt (per taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
Preheat the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the poha in a large baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes and stir them. Put them back in the oven for 15 more minutes.
While the poha is baking, prepare the nuts on the stove top.
Heat two tablespoon oil in a saucepan on medium heat and roast the peanuts until golden brown. Remove the peanuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
Now add in the cashews and roast them until they are golden brown. Remove the cashews with a slotted spoon and set them over the peanuts.
Add 1 tablespoon oil in the pan and roast the daria till golden brown. Remove the daria with a slotted spoon and set them over the cashew nuts.
Take the remainder of oil in the same pan. Add in the sesame seeds, poppy seeds and fennel seeds, and heat them until the sesame seeds start popping. Add in the turmeric, chili powder and asafetida and stir well. Turn off the heat.
Remove the poha from the oven. Pour the oil mixture over the poha. Add in the roasted nuts and daria, curry leaves, salt and sugar. Mix thoroughly, taste for salt and return the pan in the oven to bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and cool down the chevo before storing in a jar. Keeps well for a few weeks in the pantry.
[Makes 20 servings]