Spongy and savory cupcakes, perfect healthy snack!
- 2 cups tightly packed spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon green chilies paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, per taste
- 1/2 cup plain flour / all-purpose flour / maida flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semolina / cream of wheat
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Take a 12-cupcake pan and line with cupcake holders.
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Take the spinach, milk or buttermilk, oil and onion in a blender and liquify to a smooth mixture. Pour the mixture in glass bowl. Add in the green chilies, ginger, turmeric, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Mix well.
Sift in the self-rising flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well.
Now add in the semolina and corn kernels. Mix well. Taste for salt.
Pour the batter in the cupcake holders 3/4 way up. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Test with a tooth pick in the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. Cool completely before serving.
You can make this cake in a square or rectangular baking pan instead of cupcakes too.
Use can also use a combination of spinach and fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves.
[Makes 12 servings]