Baked version of the popular cereal chevdo, packed with protein!
- 3 cups Rice Krispy Cereal
- 3 cups Corn Flakes
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 8-ounce bag of salted potato chips, crushed slightly
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 cup whole raw peanuts
- 1 cup split raw cashews
- 1 cup Daria (roasted gram/chana daal) (optional)
- 1/4 cup limdi/kadhi patta, crisped up in the microwave
- 2 tablespoons whole dhana (Coriander seeds), crushed slightly
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoon Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves powder
- 1 teaspoon herder/turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hing/asafetida
- 2 tablespoon powder sugar
Take a large baking dish and mix all the cereals and potato chips. Set aside.
Take a 1/4 cup oil in a small pot. Heat the oil on medium heat and roast the almonds till golden brown, remove the almonds with a slotted spoon and put them over the cereal mixture. Follow the same process with the rest of the nuts and daria.
Take the limdi and dry roast in the little oil that is left over from the nuts. You can also dry roast the leaves in the microwave. I did mine in the microwave. Add the leaves over the cereal mixture.
To prepare the masala, take the remaining ¼ cup of oil in the same pan. Heat the oil on low heat, add in the crushed dhana, cinnamon powder, clove powder, chili powder, turmeric and salt. Roast the masala on low heat till it is aromatic. Add in the asafetida and pour the mixture over the cereal mixture.
Mix and rub in the masala into the cereals using both hands. Remember to wear gloves to do this next step! Once all the masala is coated well, dust the powder sugar and mix well.
Heat the cereal in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Give a good toss and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove from the oven. Store the chevdo in an air tight container once it is completely cooled down. Keeps well we for a few weeks.
NOTE: You can substitute any variety of cereal of your personal choice.
[Makes 20 servings]